Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Minneapolis Please Remember

Fatty, Fag, Dyke, Pig, Lezbo, Queen, Whore....

There are so many words that tormented us while growing up, and these words and some are all the more prevalent in our society today. Just as we used the word retarded youth now use the word gay out of context. At least when we were in school the torment often ended when the bell rang at the end of the day. Today, the bullying extends into the social media and other technology. It must end, it must get better, and it WILL get better.

Today is a National Day of Remembrance for those who have lost the fight to live on in life due to such torment and bullying. May their memories be blessed with the good in their life and who they wanted to be. It is day to think about out actions, past and present. To strive to make a difference as we grow forward as a human, as a community and as a country. Our community is in the headlines for this issue with 7 teen suicides in the Anoka area alone in the past year. This epidemic is as awful here as it is anywhere.

Until the day that schools are made to enforce policy against ALL bullying we must stand and voice our concern and interest in this area. No child should have to endure hate and bullying. To those of you who say it is part of life, I am here to tell you that it is not. If you were a bully, looking back what has it done for you?

I can tell you first hand that being the victim of bullying lives with you for life. I have a strong mindset that led me past it all, and I did everything possible to get out of high school. I went to a charter school to start fresh. I was bullied there. I wanted to die. I considered suicide but the more I researched the larger the concern grew about failing at it than anything. So, I went to a new school and stayed under the radar, not great grades as that got me harassment before, but well enough to get by. At the first chance for PSEO in my junior year I took it. I wanted away from the peer pressure and the hatred in my school. I was stuck between part time high school and college so the only way to survive the hatred in those four walls was to join it. I said some awful things to people no different than I. I apologize to the few of you who I said those things about.

Please practice and preach in your own lives to stop bullying and hate on those unlike yourself. All persons should have the right to express their love and personality in a respectable manner. Set religion aside, because NO ONE shall judge another being, there is one Judge in all religion. If your beliefs do not support what another person is doing, they have two powers to answer to, the law and God.

We are so close to human equality. Keep on going as we all know It Gets Better. Choose which side of history you want to be on, it is changing regardless, but it is in your power to change it Today.

1 comment:

  1. Mpls. is way to beautiful city to let the "haters" have for their own.

    For those who judge, stop!

    Enjoy the beauty around you. Not all cities are as grand as Minneapolis and never will be.

    S.Medal

    ReplyDelete